Gold is a precious material that appreciates with time and never goes out of style.
When buying our handcrafted jewelry, you know you are investing in quality that you can feel great about thanks to our commitment to sourcing sustainable 14k gold and working with experienced artisans who pour their heart into each piece we’ve designed for you.
Unlike hard materials like stainless steel, gold is soft and malleable- solid gold jewelry, especially dainty ones, have to be cared for and be maintained to last a lifetime.
How to care for fine solid gold jewelry?
- Remove your jewelry before activities like sports, heavy lifting, cleaning and others that will apply excessive pressure on the piece or snag the chain.
- Last on, first off: make sure that your jewelry is the last thing that you put on when you get ready, and is the first to come off as you get ready to bed. Perfume and other cosmetic products can react with the jewelry creating discolouration.
- We do not recommend wearing 14k gold jewelry to chlorinated pools as it might react with metals in the alloy.
- Do give your pieces a light bath by soaking in mild detergent and gently rubbing it with a soft brush once in a while. We have something perfect for the job here.
- The daintiest of rings are best when stacked, there is a strength in numbers. They will stay in shape longer.
- Upon noticing any warping with daily use, contact us for servicing to prevent undue damage over time.
- Make sure to visit or contact us for an annual checkup and deep clean. We suggest this for all of our pieces, especially engagement collection to ensure the prongs keep your stone secure.
- Note on opals, pearls and enamel: exercise caution as these materials are not as durable as diamonds and sapphires or even gold. Do not submerge in water. Clean only when needed with a jewelry cleaning cloth and dry thoroughly.
What are the usual signs of wear of gold jewelry?
- Warping of bangles and rings (rose gold will be misshapen even faster than yellow gold due to high copper content)
- Darkening and oxidation due to contact with skin oils and cosmetic products.
- Stretching and snapping of gold due to snagging and pressure- while it’s heartbreaking to see your piece break, the dainty softness is prone to snaps under pressure. Do not worry, in most cases, we can help with fixing it (make sure to reach out soon, once lost, we cannot replace your piece).
- Loosening of the prongs around a jewel- especially after extended wear.
How to store my jewelry?
- Store each of your jewels separately to avoid scratches.
- Place your pieces in a pouch to minimize contact with dust and excess moisture in the air.
- To avoid tangling your necklaces and bracelets, close the plastic bag over the end of the chain and let the end dangle out slightly.
- Be sure to keep your jewelry away from extreme heat or moisture.
Please note that taking your jewelry to a repair service other than bluboho will void the warranty on our pieces.